The City of Smyrna has created a racing event permit application process to ensure that all events go smoothly for the organizers, the participants, and the community as a whole. Want to organize a 5k, 10k, walk, run, or bike race for a good cause? We've gathered all the important info here to help answer any questions you may have and in case you plan to submit an application.
Application Fee - $250
Submitting an application for review requires a non-refundable $250 administrative fee made payable to the City of Smyrna at the time of submission.
All applications start at the Smyrna Police Department in the Special Operations division. They will help ensure you understand all the requirements expected of event organizers, but first be sure to read the info below.
Special Operations Contact Info
Sgt. Brandy Forman
Smyrna Police Department
2646 Atlanta Rd SE
Smyrna, GA 30080
There are two items you agree to secure and must provide proof of at least 30 days prior to event.
- Compliance with Emergency Medical Services Plan determined by Smyrna Fire Department
- Certificate of Insurance for comprehensive liability coverage. (See: Insurance Guidelines)
Your event plans will be reviewed by the Police Department, Fire Department, Public Works, Parks and Recreation, and Community Relations to assure that there are no conflicting events and that all aspects of the event have been appropriately addressed.
- Application Fee ($250)
- Copy of Applicant's State Issued Photo ID
- Copy of Race Coordinator State Issued Photo ID
- Qualified Race Coordinator who will lead the event
- Desired Route chosen from approved list provided by Police Dept.
- List of Assembly Locations
- Exact timeline for event, including setup, activities, and clean up.
- Signed Indemnity and Release Form
- Completed and Signed Permit Application
- Approved EMS Plan from Smyrna Fire Department Emergency Medical Services Director
- 60 DAYS – Racing Event Permit Application must be filed with SPD at least 60 days in advance.
- 30 DAYS – Provide Proof of Liability Insurance to SPD or Office of Assistant City Administrator.
- 30 DAYS – Demonstrate Plan to Comply with Approved EMS Plan from Smyrna Fire Department.
- 14 DAYS – Meet with City staff to confirm all requirements have been met. The sooner the better!
- Racing Event Permit Application Checklist
- Smyrna Racing Event Permit Application
- Approved and Certified Race Routes
- Equipment and Signage Requirements
- Release and Indemnity Agreement (Smyrna)
- Insurance Guidelines (Smyrna)
- City of Smyrna City Code - Chapter 11 - Racing Events Ordinance