ELECTION INFORMATION FOR UPCOMING 2017 ELECTIONS:
Please visit the Cobb County Board of Elections for the most current information: http://www.cobbelections.org/
CITY OF SMYRNA ELECTION FOR WARD 3
MUNICIPAL / SPECIAL ELECTION - NOVEMBER 7, 2017
If you are a resident of Ward 3 and are interested in running for the Ward 3 Councilmember seat in the upcoming November 7, 2017 election, qualifying for this seat is as follows:
Am I in Ward 3? Look up your Ward here
Qualifying has ended as of 12 Noon 9/20/2017
Below is a link to the Qualified Candidates:
Qualifying for candidates will be held in the Human Resources Room at the Smyrna City Hall, 2800 King St., Smyrna GA, beginning Monday, September 18, 2017 at 8:30 and ending on Wednesday September 20, 2017 at noon. The hours for qualifying shall be Monday and Tuesday from 8:30am until 4:30pm and closed for lunch each day from 12noon to 1pm, and Wednesday from 8:30am until 12:00noon. The qualifying fee shall be $567 to be paid by cash, personal check, money order, or cashier’s check made out to the City of Smyrna. Each candidate must meet the qualifications for office as prescribed by State Law and Municipal Code. Each candidate or his or her designee shall file a Notice of Candidacy and Affidavit, such form is available at www.sos.ga.gov and will also be provided at the qualifying location.
The following are the days and times you may qualify at Smyrna City Hall HR Conference Room.
Monday, September 18, 2017 from 8:30am – 4:30pm with a one hour lunch
Tuesday, September 19, 2017 from 8:30am – 4:30pm with a one hour lunch
Wednesday, September 20, 2017 from 8:30am – 12:00pm (noon)
Requirements for Qualifying:
Each candidate must meet the qualifications for office as prescribed by State Law and Municipal Code. Each candidate or his or her designee shall file a Notice of Candidacy and Affidavit, such form is available at www.sos.ga.gov and will also be provided at the qualifying location.
Qualifying fees for Ward 3 Councilmember office will be $567.00.
Qualifying for candidates will be held in:
Human Resources Conference Room
Smyrna City Hall
2800 King Street
Smyrna, Georgia 30080
Accepting Campaign Donations:
Many laws regulating the acceptance of campaign contributions are governed by the Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission. Please visit their Website before accepting any donations.
List of Registered Voters:
Please call the Cobb Elections Office at 770/528-2581 for information about ordering lists of registered voters in your Ward.
O.C.G.A. § 16-7-58(a) prohibits you from erecting signs on public or private property if you do not have permission to do so. Please note that the offices of Cobb County Government, Cobb County School District, and Marietta City Schools have indicated that they do not give permission for any campaign signs on their property.
It shall be unlawful for any person to place posters, signs, or advertisements:
1. On any public property or building, unless the owner thereof or the occupier as authorized by such owner has given permission to place such posters, signs, or advertisements on such property; provided, however, that signs within the rights of way of public roads shall be governed by Code Section 32-6-51;
2. On any private property unless the owner thereof or the occupier as authorized by such owner has given permission to place such posters, signs, or advertisements on such property; and, provided, further that no municipal, county, or consolidated government may restrict by regulation or other means the length of time a political campaign sign may be displayed or the number of signs which may be displayed on private property for which permission has been granted; or
3. On any property zoned for commercial or industrial uses if the placement of such posters, signs, or advertisements conflicts with any zoning laws or ordinances.
O.C.G.A. § 21-2-414 prohibits campaign signs on Election Day, including those on vehicles and hand-held, within 150 feet of a polling place or 25 feet of voters standing in line to vote.
1. No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign literature, newspaper, booklet, pamphlet, card, sign, paraphernalia, or any other written or printed matter of any kind, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition or conduct any exit poll or public opinion poll with voters on any day in which ballots are being cast:
1. Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established;
2. Within any polling place; or
3. Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.
The following information is provided to help you research sign ordinances in Cobb County and the various cities.
City of Smyrna Community Development Offices - 770-319-5387 City of Smyrna Sign Ordinance
VOTE* VOTE* VOTE* VOTE* VOTE* VOTE* VOTE* VOTE* VOTE* VOTE* VOTE* VOTE* VOTE* VOTE*
If you are a resident of Ward 3 and wish to vote in your Councilmember's upcoming election:
Smyrna Polling Locations:
PLEASE NOTE: ONLY RESIDENTS OF WARD 3 MAY VOTE FOR THE WARD 3 COUNCILMEMBER OFFICE
Advanced Voting: to be updated with date, times and location
Election Day: November 7, 2017: Ward 3 Smyrna Community Center, 200 Village Green Circle