In addition to traditional financing sources, special development assistance may be offered to targeted business prospects. Expanding businesses and development projects in the North Smyrna Opportunity Zone or Smyrna-Osborne Enterprise Zone may be eligible for program-specific incentives. All other projects seeking city incentives must meet the eligibility criteria and application requirements described below. Please contact Economic Development with any questions.
Unless otherwise provided, qualifying projects must meet one of the following thresholds for new jobs and economic impact during the incentive period.
Available City Incentives
The City will consider waiving the following fees and taxes. Total amounts and types of assistance are dependent on the project’s impact. All incentives will be approved by City Council. There may be additional incentives available from Cobb County and the State of Georgia.
- Occupational Tax Certificate Fees
- Plan Review Fees
- Building Permit Fees
- Water System Development Fees (new development)
- Sewer Impact Fees (new development)
- Financing of Sewer System Development Fees (new development)
- Water/sewer User Charges (new development)
Incentive requests should be in the form of a letter to the City’s Economic Development Department (3180 Atlanta Rd, Smyrna, GA 30080) requesting business incentives to help them locate and/or expand their business. The letter should include information on the following:
- Company background
- Project description
- Estimated jobs created
- Estimated payroll
- Estimated capital investment
- Project timeline
- Key company contacts
- Additional incentives being requested from other jurisdictions, including the County and State
- Other competitive jurisdictions being considered
Once the Economic Development Department has received and reviewed the initial application, additional information may be requested.
Expanding businesses and development projects within the designated Smyrna-Osborne Enterprise Zone may be eligible for property tax savings and fee waivers. A program overview is available here.
Businesses looking to locate or expand in the designated North Smyrna Opportunity Zone may be eligible for Job Tax Credits. A minimum of two new jobs must be created. A program overview is available here.
Small Business Technical Assistance Program
The purpose of the small business technical assistance program is to provide services and business assistance to small businesses that meet the eligibility requirements. In order for a business to be eligible for the small business technical assistance program, the business must be location within the City of Smyrna. Technical Assistance includes:
- Access to market data, labor force data, and real estate data
- Coordination with appropriate county, city, or state agencies
- Liaison with workforce training and assistance providers
- Assistance with permitting and construction processes;
- Information on other local and state entities that can assist in the growth of small businesses.
List your available property on the City’s website
Do you have a commercial property for lease or sale within the City of Smyrna? We will list your property on this website. Please send a PDF of your marketing brochure to Economic Development and we will list it on our retail or office/industrial pages of the website.