City Engineer: Eric Randall, P.E. (678) 631-5381
Assistant City Engineer: Kevin Moore, P.E. (678) 631-5450
The engineering function is a technical, essential component for the Public Works Department and is part of the Street Division of Public Works. As the primary contact for this function under the direct supervision of the Director of Public Works, the City Engineer is responsible for many vital and complex duties and projects. Listed below are responsibilities of the City Engineer:
- Maintenance and operation of the City's traffic control system including traffic signals and roadway signage.
- Evaluation of engineering related traffic subject matter including sight distance and traffic calming.
- Development, Engineering and Site Plan review for proposed land development.
- Coordinating and overseeing the City's SPLOST funded transportation program in conjunction with the SPLOST program manager.
- Overseeing the City's monitoring and enforcement of applicable erosion, sedimentation and pollution control laws.
- FEMA related or regulated floodplain activities.
- Monitoring and review of existing and proposed stormwater management facilities within the City.
- Coordination with other private and government entities regarding projects or development within the City, including but not limited to Cobb County Department of Transportation (DOT), Georgia DOT, Georgia Power, Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC), Georgia Environmental Protection Division (GEPD), Army Corp of Engineers, and the Cumberland Community Improvement District.
- Evaluation and protection of stream buffers and wetlands within the City in accordance with state and local law.
The City Engineer's office is located at the Public Works Complex, 2190 Atlanta Road, Smyrna, Georgia. Office hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
If you have any questions related to engineering, erosion, sedimentation or pollution, please call the Public Works Department at (770) 431-2850 or submit a Service Request. For emergency after hours calls please call (770) 434-6666.