The Smyrna Public Library offers basic reference services during open hours. A large collection of print and electronic resources are available in the library for use by the public. These include specialized genealogy, military history and law collections.
When the library is open library users can get help in the reference department, over the Internet by email, or by telephone (770-431-2860 ext. 4). Phone reference questions are generally limited to questions that can be answered in fifteen minutes or less. Library staff can read the text from medical, legal and tax resources to users, but are not authorized to interpret the information since staff are not licensed doctors, lawyers, or accountants.
The Smyrna Public Library does not answer city directory questions over the phone or by email. Users must come into the library to use our city directories.
Users can access hundreds of databases twenty four hours a day outside the library through GALILEO and the Internet Public Library. Both services are free, but GALILEO requires a password. Please call the reference department for the current password.
The Library also subscribes to other databases that are as follows:
- A to Z World Travel - Your online guidebook to over 100 cities around the world providing maps, restaurants and information about the city you're visiting.
- Mango Languages - Your online source for learning one of 34 different languages at your own pace. Must access through library catalog. Log in with your Smyrna Library card number.
- My Heritage - Library Edition - Upgraded from World Vital Records - records from the U.S., U.K., Europe and the rest of the world. Along with standard key collections such as the complete U.S. census records, U.K. census records, and an enhanced Social Security Death Index, you will also find rare and exclusive collections. Some of the most popular resources are birth, marriage, and death records and immigration records from Germany and other European countries. Log in with your Smyrna Library Card number.
- American Ancestors - 200 million records for New England, New York, and beyond. Access is limited to public computers in the Reference area at Smyrna Public Library. Visit www.AmericanAncestors.org on a library computer.
- Lynda.com - tens of thousands of online tutorials developed by professionals on topics such as business, computer software and hardware, design and other skills. Log in with your Smyrna Library card number and PIN.
- Driving-Tests.org - 10 practice tests, 6 motorcycle practice tests, 3 CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) practice tests, 3 online driver’s manuals (car, motorcycle, CDL), and an FAQ section with detailed answers to 100+ DMV-related questions.